Friday, March 12, 2010


VIOLENCE AGAINST PREGNANT WOMEN:
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: BABY, IT'S REAL
by Sarah Sonne
The Calgary Herald, September 1 2008

Re: "It's not a baby," Letter, Aug. 29.
I'd like to respond to Andy Mulcahy's comment that we do not have an innate emotional attachment to a fetus, in his letter complaining about Bill C-484.

A good friend of mine is pregnant, and I and the rest of our group of friends are extremely attached to her fetus. We touch my friend's belly and talk to it, we call it by name, we discuss how it develops week by week, and we are all excited to meet it in a couple of months. How is this scary? I support Bill C-484 for my friends and their unborn children, not some unrelated stranger whose uterus I feel the need to control, as Mulcahy suggested. Mulcahy was once a fetus. This is something every pro-choicer has to come to terms with eventually.

Sarah Sonne,
Vanier, Ont.

No comments: