Tuesday, March 16, 2010


MORGENTALER AND THE ORDER OF CANADA: 

GIVE HONOUR WHERE HONOUR IS DUE
by Faytene Kryskow

Like so many Canadians we were shocked to hear the news of Henry Morgentaler's appointment to the Order of Canada. As the director of an organization that represents thousands of young Canadians who are concerned about Canada on a variety of issues I want to say loud and clear: I wholeheartedly disapprove of this appointment. My reasons are multi-fold. Lets begin with the least obvious.

By his own admission on national television Morgentaler slimily confessed that he "enjoys women." In my circle (which is wide) we call these men "womanizers" or "creeps." The thought of giving a self-professing womanizer the Order of Canada gives me the heebie-jeebies. What message are we sending young Canadian men and women when we give the highest civilian honour to such a person? Seeing as Canada has an estimated 800 women a year lured into abusive sex trade jobs within our borders, this is a really good question. We hope it will be asked, loudly, before Morgentaler is pinned with this honour at some un-named date in the future.

The second reason is one that has already been raised by many across the nation: Morgentaler's appointment is a thorough insult to democracy. Included in the opening Canada Day remarks on Parliament Hill was an exhortation regarding the need to strengthen Canadaís democratic system. The speaker shared with thousands of Canadians how, in the last election, 75% of young Canadians did not vote. He went on to say that this needs to change. I wholeheartedly agree. However, how can you expect young people to get excited about participating in a system that consistently overrides the voice of the people?

Young people often say to me, "what difference will my vote make?" Well, leaders of Canada, give me something to work with, would you! (I use the word "leaders" broadly here as I know Prime Minister Harper had nothing to do directly with the Morgentaler appointment.) I would love to encourage my friends to vote. However, the announcement of the appointment today validates their skepticism. Why do I say this? A recent Globe & Mail poll declared that 92% of Canadians did not want the Morgentaler appointment to happen. Wow. That's a big number! A CBC Facebook poll only a year ago reported that the number one wish of young Canadians for Canadaís 140th birthday was for the ending of abortion in Canada. Do you remember that poll? We have not heard much about it in the media for some reason. Strange. And finally, there is the report that nomination protocol was totally overridden in this case. Every other person that has received the Order of Canada (from what I understand) has been appointed by unanimous consent. In spite of the fact that 92% of Canadians did not want this to happen, and there was a split on the advisory council itself, it happened. As I understand it, in an unprecedented maneuver the advisory council chaired by Chief Justice McLachlin rammed this through. What kind of justice is this?

I agree with the speaker today on Parliament Hill. We need to revive democracy. So, Canada, letís actually do it. Then maybe I could encourage my friends to vote and they would respond.

The final, and obvious reason, is that at the hands of Morgentaler's choice movement a trail of devastated lives lace the land. It is estimated that 8 out of 10 women who have had abortions struggle with suicide and that 98% of women polled would not recommend it to a friend (Elliot Institute). That speaks loudly. Is Morgentaler a hero to those 98% of women who regret their abortion? Canada is littered with chilling stories of women who were traumatized both emotionally and physically as a direct result of abortion. I had lunch with a lady just last weekend whose friend has two scars on the outside of her body from a botched abortion that destroyed her uterus. To hear of Morgentalerís appointment only days after hearing this story was a little too much to take. So take it, I won't. I am here to say that this was a terrible decision and it should be rescinded.

I feel badly for others who have received this award that has been so cheapened by the announcement of Morgentalerís appointment. I hope that they give their medals back and that none of the appointees on the list with Morgentaler show up to get theirs. THAT would be an amazing day for Canada.

To honour this man is to dishonour women who don't believe they are "meat." To honour this man is to dishonour a democratic system that we are (apparently) trying to revive. To honour this man is to dishonour countless women whose lives have been devastated as a direct result of abortion, not to mention 30-40% of my generation that never made it past the womb. Lets reserve honour for the ones who truly deserve it.

PS: My family, like Morgentaler's, was also in the holocaust - in the Ukraine. Ironically, because of him, now my generation is also.

Faytene Kryskow
Director, MY Canada Association

No comments: