Monday, March 29, 2010

MP'S SPEAKING UP ON MORAL ISSUES:
LETTER TO THE EDITOR RE: SOCIAL CONSERVATIVES LEFT OUT IN THE COLD
by Sarah Sonne
Ottawa Citizen, November 3 2008

I thank Rebecca Walberg for her opinion article. As a young, social conservative voter in Canada, I fully agree with Ms. Walberg that ignoring and isolating voters like myself because we have no other choice of who we vote for is costing the Conservative party.
I do not live in Winnipeg, yet I made the effort to volunteer for Winnipeg South MP Rod Bruinooge's campaign over the telephone, because he is one of the few MPs who is bold enough to be a social conservative voice and speak out on moral issues.

I voted and volunteered in six riding campaigns, because I am passionate about my country. But I personally know of many people who, at the last minute, decided to spoil their ballot or not vote after hearing that a Harper government would not encourage legislation that restricts access to abortion.

With polls showing 56 per cent of Canadians opposing Dr. Henry Morgentaler's Order of Canada, and 75 per cent of Canadians supporting the private Bill C-484 on protection for unborn victims of crime, it made no sense for the Conservative party to silence their MPs, whip votes on freedom of conscience issues, and ignore the majority of Canadians whom they are supposed to represent.

I am indebted to Mr. Bruinooge and other MPs who fight for my values. I hope that the "Bruinooge effect" as Ms. Walberg described affects Conservatives. Maybe then my friends will show up to vote, because they will actually have a voice in Parliament.

No comments: