Tuesday, March 16, 2010

 

MORGENTALER AND THE ORDER OF CANADA:

CANADIAN VOICES AREN'T BEING HEARD
by Amy Good
St. Catharine's Standard October 15, 2008

As a young Canadian, I consider myself very privileged to live in a democracy like Canada. There has been so much encouragement with the recent election to "make your voice heard" by voting.
But I'm feeling disappointed by the lack of voice I feel I have today. On Oct. 10, the highest civilian award in Canada was given to Dr. Henry Morgentaler. This might not be upsetting to most Canadians, however it should be.
This award is designed to unite Canada. Since the announcement of his appointment was made on Canada Day, several articles disagreeing with Morgentaler receiving the Order of Canada have been published, expressing disappointment in giving this award to Morgentaler.
How loud does your voice have to be in Canada before it gets heard? Is it any surprise why many Canadians didn't vote? Maybe we should look at why they feel their voice doesn't make a difference.
I know that is how I am left feeling
Amy Good
Jordan

No comments: