Monday, April 19, 2010

FORCED TO CHOOSE: A LETTER TO THE DOCTORS OF CANADA
from Cindy Lynne Kieffer
Thank you, for your service as a medical professional to the Nation of Canada. I am writing to you today to share my experience as a young woman during pregnancy. I would like you to know about this experience, so that when you are faced with situations such as mine, you will know a first hand account. I would like to share with you specific events during my time of pregnancy. These events begin with my first doctors appointment to the last time your colleagues were with me. Do not worry; I am not going to share nine whole months of experiences. I am only going to share one month.

On my first doctors appointment I went to see my family doctor but he was not available, so I was taken care of by an attending physician. I found out that I was pregnant. The physician did not talk to me too much about keeping the baby. He did however tell me I had to decide quickly if I wanted an abortion or not. I was confused and scared. He referred me to a gynaecologist. I went to the gynaecologist appointment within a week. He confirmed that I was eight weeks pregnant and he did not discuss pregnancy or childbirth beyond the basic fact that I was physically pregnant. However, he did say that he could book me an appointment to perform the abortion. He did not explain to me how the abortion would affect me or put me at risk. I was still in shock to find out that I was pregnant. I again was uneducated on either side of the issue, but I had to make a quick decision about what to do. I was leaving the doctors office both scared and confused, and then I saw on the wall a poster of the development of a baby. I stepped in to take a closer look and the gynaecologist stepped in front of me and said, "You don't want to look at that, it will only make you confused, and your decision harder." I was unable to think clearly because of the shock I was experiencing. In a daze I just walked out of his office thinking that he knew what was best. My life at that moment literally was in the hands of the professionals. Looking back now I do not understand why my decision had to be made so quickly and why I was not properly educated or cared for regarding this major decision.

One week after I left that doctors office I showed up to the hospital for the abortion appointment. I went into the pre-op room and had a friend with me. By this time I had just begun to process that I was pregnant and I began to change my mind. I knew that I wanted to be a mom. I tried to tell my friend but she got the nurse and they sedated me with drugs. I was so groggy that I was unable to stand up to them and could no longer tell them that I really did not want to have an abortion. The sedation began to wear off while I was in another room where I had been medically prepared for the abortion, but the doctor was late, so we were waiting for him. When I could finally speak and think clearly again the doctor had arrived and they were putting the gas mask on me. I began to fight. I tried to get out from under it. I was thrashing about so they had to hold me down, but I kept moving my head too much and they had to take the mask away to see what all the thrashing was about. I was trying to tell people again that I did not want the abortion. Instead of honouring my choice they held me back down and turned the mask up to sedate me. I heard someone say "cold feet" as I went unconscious. I woke up out of the anaesthetic screaming and crying out, "I just want to be a mom!" After being released from the hospital I had to be re-admitted three days later. They kept me in the hospital and treated me for a post-op/post trauma infection known as Endometritis.

In retrospect I can say that I was forced against my will. I was not cared for as a person by the doctors but seemed to be a drive-by victim of their precepts with no genuine regard for my own will. I know for certain I was not given all the facts that I needed to make a healthy choice; the following 9yrs I have lived are a proof of this. I am now beginning to share my story more openly, and I know that my case is not an isolated one and this too disturbs me. It seems the pro-choice perspective is not really interested in choice. I will always know I wanted to be a mother to that child. I do not know where you stand on these things or if you have the openness of mind to consider my story without writing it off as fanatical or freak, but I ask you now as a medical professional please remember my story as you perform your respected duties, and may it help you to make stronger decisions for a healthier Nation.

Thank you kindly,

Cindy Lynne Kieffer

Thank you for your time and your contributions to the health of all Canadians.

Copyrighted 2007

No comments: