Thursday, April 05, 2007

Here are some e-mails that were sent into MPs from youth that were present at the Justice Committee when Faytene presented regarding C-22. They are powerful. They just cc'd us on them so we wanted to share them with you too!

"The age of consent is 14 right now, and I'm 14, and some of the people there said that all people around my age have sex. That's not true, because my friends wear purity rings, and some of us made a commitment to abstain from sex. I know that's not everyone but those people in there, didn't think of people like me and my friends.

I can vote at 18 and have sex at 14. Let's say you were running for Prime Minister or something, and I had sex, what would be more effective to this country? My vote? Or my sex life? I think that the age should be higher, from 14 to 16 is good and all but let's raise our standards a little higher, and say 18." - Maddy

"I am 13 years old and will be turning 14 next month so this meeting pertains to me and I would like to share my opinion with you. I want the age for consentual sex to be raised from 14 to 16. I don't think that trying to give children more education about sex in school will make that much of a difference in whether they have healthy sex with someone or not. I know that for me personally I learned about sex from my parents and from different books, not from school. Most kids don't even listen in school when they are being taught about sex because it is really awkward for both them and the teacher.
Until I attended this meeting I did not know anything really about the age of consent or even that there was one. The reason why most kids don't tell adults or even their friends about having sex is not because they think that they will get in trouble with the law. It is because they feel enbarassed and shameful about what they did." - Raelynne

No comments: